Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me...removing barriers, moving toward 60

A couple of days ago I drove north  from Ann Arbor, Mich to our home on Bois Blanc Island.  The air conditioner in my VW doesn't work so  I arrived four hours later at the ferry in Cheboygan  dripping wet,  eager to jump in Lake Huron.  Ahhh...heaven.

The high the next day was a refreshing mid-70s, perfect hiking weather.  As I left the house I spotted a dead tree across the driveway.  It was a hot, still night, but the landscape here is so rocky  it doesn't take much prodding for a tree to fall.  Roots here typically sprawl out among the rocks rather than work against them to go deep.

I had a few options to deal with the tree.  I could wait for my husband and friends to arrive tomorrow and have the men take care of it.  There are neighbors nearby who would have helped.  Or, I could find a saw in the barn and do it myself.

With the tree across the driveway I am trapped here.  I had planned to drive eight miles to the general store/pizza place/ice cream stop (our version of a mall--one stop for everything)  and celebrate my 59th birthday with my beloved island community.  

As I  reflect on my life--the good, the bad and the truly mysterious-- the bad times pale in comparison to my immense blessings, which are far more than I deserve.  I do not take those things for granted.

One year until that landmark number sixty.  As I consider the past, contemplate the future and celebrate the present moment, I understand that I sometimes allow self-imposed barriers to prevent me from trying new things, taking chances, taking risks.

Singing?  Love it, but only last winter was I brave enough to join a women's chorus, after decades of wanting that.  The spring concert was a dream come true for me.

Writing for others?  A passion, but I stop short of trying to get things published.

Optimal health?  Sure, in theory I want that.  In practice I have some serious changes to make.

Dance lessons?  On my "to do" list for years.

And, the list goes on....

So TODAY I begin my quest to tackle barriers--real, imagined, self-imposed.

With an old rusty saw in hand, I conquered the first one.  It took an hour.  My muscles ache.  And I am smiling like a kid with a new bike.


Now...who's going to buy me a beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment