Thursday, February 2, 2012

Rose Knows Holidays


Happy Groundhog Day!  

And now for something completely different!   Today my grand-daughters, Fern (7) and Rose (5)  celebrate Groundhog Christmas, which was born three years ago when Rose attempted to explain Groundhog Day to her older sister.  


That hilarious conversation, relayed to me by my wonderful daughter, Sara,  inspired this poem.  

Learn something today from a child.  Your life will be enriched. 



Rose Knows Holidays
                                                                                                                                                        
Fern climbed out of bed,  “Happy New Year Sister Rose!”
“Oh my goodness”, Rosie cried,   “I must find my holiday clothes!”
“Happy New Year to you…Happy New Year to you", Rose sang and played. 
She lit the candles on the cake and served everyone lemonade. 

 “I know you love Valentine’s Day”, Fern said to Rosie in the bath,
“Oh, my goodness!”, Rosie cried, ”We’ll  need to make a path!”
She grabbed the flag and led the parade passing by
Overhead grand   fireworks completely filled the sky.

“Soon we’ll hide the Easter eggs”,  Fern announced one day to Rose.
“Oh my goodness!”, Rosie cried,  “I know  what I will be!  Just what do you suppose?”
She smiled, and thought for about a minute and a half,
She disappeared, then reappeared, in a hat and silly mask.

“I can’t wait for fireworks!”, Fern said to Rose on the swing.
“Oh, my goodness!”, Rosie cried, “I do hope I get a wing!
She smacked her lips and rubbed her tummy,
“Turkey with all the fixin’s, now that is what I call  yummy! “

“Rose,  our September birthdays are next in line, wont’ that be fun?”
“Oh my goodness!”, Rosie cried, “ Yes! I think I’m almost done! “
Red, orange, green, yellow and blue,
“I colored all of these eggs Fern; the best one is for you!”

“What should I be for Halloween?”  Fern asked Rose one day as they danced.
“Oh my goodness!” , Rosie cried, “I know, I know,  just let me take a chance!”
Soon the room was filled, from the ceiling to the floor,
“I love you” said the big red hearts that hung down from the door.

“What are you thankful for this year?” Fern asked in November.
“Oh, my goodness!”, Rosie cried, “Now I remember!”
She grabbed the bells and whistles, and sang a little tune,
“For old acquaintance be forgot”…. she danced around the room.

“Go to sleep dear sister Rose, but listen for the reindeer,
“Oh, my goodness!”, Rosie cried, “I can’t believe it’s been a year!”
In her big straw hat and sunglasses, she sang out all of her wishes,   
“If Santa sees his shadow, we’ll have six more days of Christmas.”

                                                                                                                         





Me and my wild and wonderful girls.....

No comments:

Post a Comment