Friday, September 21, 2012

Birth Stories

What is your earliest memory? Mine is not my birth, but I have a sense of what it was like from the family stories I have heard.  It seems important to have a sense of the surroundings, who was present, what the weather was like, the phase of the moon, current events. In other words, what the world was like when we arrived.

I was fortunate to be present at Fern's birth--my first grand-daughter; which was also my birthday. My son-in-law coached my  daughter for several hours.  Fern was not in the ideal position for delivery--face-up, which causes painful back labor.  When she was born the doctor said  "A stargazer girl!...that's what we call these baby who arrive face up".

Fern is eight now.  For the past five years she has waited for me to write her a bedtime song.  Every time I tuck her in and sing "You Are My Sunshine", she reminds me that I always sang that one to her mother. She wants her own song now.

The ceiling above her bed is a starry night sky.   She is a StarGazer Girl.

What is your birth story?  Has it shaped you? Informed you?  If you don't know what was happening in the world when you arrived, go on a search. Celebrate your arrival and the ways the world welcomed you.


No comments:

Post a Comment